Tuesday, November 2, 2010

5 Is The New 21: Robert Gomez of Subterranean

Top 5 Reasons Why 5-year-olds Act Like 21-year-olds While Watching A Band

5. Both tend to stumble and fall
4. Both spill an awful lot, but unfortunately, only the 5-year-olds drink from sippy cups
3. Both have a tendency to gyrate and pull at their pants when they need to go to the bathroom
2. The boys in both groups tend to spontaneously howl for no apparent reason
AND
1. Neither seems to be able to read the menu!




A few words on 'little kid shows' with Gomez, father of two and owner of cool rock clubs

"When I bought Beat Kitchen in 2005, I never imagined that we would be hosting shows for little kids. After all, we showcase the likes of punk and death metal. Music for tykes? It just didn't seem possible. But here we are, 3 years into it and, as the owner of a music venue, the coolest part is that kids have a place to 'rock out' and get their palate wet for playing in a band someday. And the musicians have a place to perform, test out their music, and maybe, just maybe, make a living from it.

So how did it all start? Well, my wife signed up our daughter Ava for a Wiggleworms class at Old Town. Yes, she told me where to go but I wasn't paying attention and I walked into the wrong classroom in the wrong building over on Lincoln (I was supposed to be at Armitage). Karen Banks-Lubicz was teaching and compassionately let me stay.

As I watched Karen (who now performs as Karen 4 Kids!) I was thinking how cool it would be if the kids could see her with a full band and on a real stage and sound system.....and boy, would I love a beer right now. And then it hit me: This is what we need to do at Beat Kitchen.

Well, as fortune would have it, Karen had just completed her own cd with mostly her own music (original music is a thing for us over at Beat and Subt) and we agreed to put a show together 6 weeks out. So, because I went to the wrong place at the wrong time (did I forget to mention I was an hour late?) and a good thing happened.

Beat Kitchen has shows most Sundays at noon and we are hosting shows on occasional Saturdays at Subterranean as well, with special treats from Psychobaby. " You can check for dates, times and prices on our Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/kidsshowschicago

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you have something to share with the group? Comment here, just please be respectful of others, polite and nice (as we try to be) to set an example for the cool, crazy kids!