Friday, June 18, 2010

My Dad Is Cool Because...


When we were talking Father's Day plans at the store, I jumped at the chance to write about how cool I think my Dad is. I mean, come on, he just got back from a month long trip to Peru. He found airline tickets online for $330 round trip St. Louis to Lima (including taxes)! He returned with amazing stories- about the people he met (including how a local musician stole his backpack) and, of course, Machu Picchu. He even sent me flowers as soon as he got home for missing my half birthday. To sum it up: he's a deal-finding, talk-to-anyone, amazing-adventurer-who-even- sends-flowers-on-obnoxious-holidays, kind of guy.

I have to admit I haven't always thought my Dad was cool. Growing up, he embarrassed me. While most the other Dads were sitting around the tables at my high school father-daughter dance, my dad was doing his 'el boogaloo' dance move in the middle of the dance floor. When we visited Ireland when I was 14, I wanted to be back at the B&B reading a Seventeen magazine, but my Dad made me go to local pubs every night to listen to traditional Irish music and 'get to know the locals.' The worst was my cousin's wedding weekend- where while we were on a boat, he thought it would be a great idea to moon another boat...filled with my cousin's fiance's family and friends.

It's taken me awhile to really realize I would rather have a dad who gets up and dances with me and all my friends. A dad who ignores my teenage whiney complaints, sneaks me into pubs and let me experience my heritage. And although I am still not too happy about watching my Dad moon someone, it's a story my family still tells and laughs to the point of tears. So maybe it was kind of worth it. Maybe.

Father's Day shouldn't be about the new tie, or those golf balls you got dad. To me, it's about saying thanks. Thanks for the flowers on my half birthday, thanks for not killing me when I smashed the car door, thanks for always singing 'You can't always get what you want/but if you try sometimes, you"ll get what you need,' to me, but most of all thanks for being my dad and being patient while I figured that out- I think you're pretty cool.

-Katy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you have something to share with the group? Comment here, just please be respectful of others, polite and nice (as we try to be) to set an example for the cool, crazy kids!